Pope Clement XI Embassy Coach

Pope Clement XI Embassy Coach

Museu dos Coches
Lisboa, Portugal

18th Century (1716)
Triumphal vehicle.
Italian work, made in Rome.
Inv. nº 11
Dim: 720x255x337 cm

It comprised part of the group of five thematic coaches and ten accompanying coaches that were in the procession of the Embassy sent to the Pope in 1716 by King João V as the high point of the ostentation of Royal Power from someone that dominated a vast empire.

It has an open body in the so-called Roman style that is covered with red silk velvet with appliqués embroidered with golden thread, while the interior is lined with gold brocade.

The rear sculptural group has a magnificent gilt carved woodwork, probably projected by Portuguese artists or by a foreign artist who had lived in Portugal, and it represents an episode in Portuguese maritime history, the connection of the Atlantic Ocean to the Indian Ocean, discovered by Portuguese navigators in 15th Century and glorified by Apollo.

On each side of him are figures of Spring and Summer, while at his feet are two Old Men who, in a gesture of great beauty, shake hands, symbolizing the connection by sea between the two worlds at the Cape of Good Hope.

From 1995 to 1999 the coach was significantly restored. The project, using techniques of the period, was carried out on the woods (sculptures, wheels and small central bench), on the gilding, on the textiles (velvet, embroidery, silk, curtains, pillows), on the leather and on the metal.

The book by the Italian Luca Chracas from 1716, which minutely described the event, the vehicles and their equipment, helped in making the restoration faithful.

en.museudoscoches.pt/Museum/CollectionInfo/TransportsInfo…
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Coach_Museum

——————————————————–

COCHE da EMBAIXADA ao PAPA CLEMENTE XI – dos Oceanos

Séc. XVIII (1716)
Carro triunfal.
Trabalho italiano executado em Roma.
Inv. nº 11
Dim: 720x255x337 cm

Fazia parte do conjunto de 5 coches temáticos e 10 de acompanhamento que integraram o cortejo da Embaixada enviada pelo rei D. João V ao Papa, em 1716, como ponto alto da ostentação da magnificência do Poder Real, de quem dominava um vasto império.

No exterior a caixa aberta, dita à Romana, é revestida a veludo de seda vermelho, com aplicações bordadas a fio de ouro enquanto o interior está forrado a brocado de ouro.

O alçado traseiro desenvolve um trabalho de talha, provavelmente projecto de artistas portugueses ou estrangeiros residentes em Portugal e retrata um episódio da história marítima portuguesa, a ligação do Oceano Atlântico com o Oceano Índico, é glorificada por Apolo, ladeado pelas figuras da Primavera e do Verão, enquanto a seus pés dois Velhos, dão as mãos, simbolizando a ligação por mar entre dois mundos com a passagem do Cabo da Boa Esperança.

Entre 1995 e 1998 o coche foi profundamente restaurado. A intervenção foi feita, utilizando as técnicas da época, nas madeiras (esculturas, rodados e banqueta central), na douradura, nos têxteis (veludos, bordados, sedas, cortinas, almofadas), nos couros e nos metais.

O livro de Luca Chracas, escritor italiano que em 1716, relatou minuciosamente o acontecimento, as viaturas e seus aparatos, ajudou à fidelidade do restauro.

www.museudoscoches.pt/Coleccao/Colec%C3%A7%C3%A3oInfo/Tra…
pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Museu_dos_Coches

20111002_7D_IMG_6571_MuseuCoches

Posted by LusoFox on 2011-10-16 12:30:00

Tagged: , Canon EOS 7D , Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM , Europa , Europe , Portugal , Estremadura , Lisboa , Lissabon , Lisbonne , Lisbon , Belém , Museu dos Coches , museu , museum , musée , museo , музей , muzej , muzeum , μουσείο , múzeum , músaem , Музејот , mużew , muzeu , พิพิธภัณฑ์ , müze , amgueddfa

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Show Buttons
Hide Buttons