Thanks for the great sub, I moved into an older home and want to know how I can restore this piece of wood.
* I am not sure the type of wood but it was taken from an old “castle” in the North East US. So there is “historic value”. If you can help identify the wood it would mean a lot (no pun intended)
* It is above a large fireplace and looks to have soot etc on it
* I want to make it shine and beautify it. I think it can be a real centerpiece to the room.
* I am open to sanding etc but I have very little wood finishing experience. Thank you for your help!
* Restore versus Belt Sand and stain? Pros / Cons.
Thank you again, I am really excited at what this wood will hold when the blemishes are removed.
All Images (this home was built in 1980’s wood taken from mansion/castle built in early 1800’s)
1. From of the mantle – [https://1drv.ms/u/s!AocmpxiT_Zg5gesqp_dZ352n6ilaGA?e=47E8Kz](https://1drv.ms/u/s!AocmpxiT_Zg5gesqp_dZ352n6ilaGA?e=47E8Kz)
2. Side front of mantle – [https://1drv.ms/u/s!AocmpxiT_Zg5gesvFkRPgCN9V8glzA?e=UMAVc0](https://1drv.ms/u/s!AocmpxiT_Zg5gesvFkRPgCN9V8glzA?e=UMAVc0)
3. Left side of mantle – [https://1drv.ms/u/s!AocmpxiT_Zg5gestZ5HJUHIX60d-zQ?e=caxEBD](https://1drv.ms/u/s!AocmpxiT_Zg5gestZ5HJUHIX60d-zQ?e=caxEBD)
4. Another shot: [https://1drv.ms/u/s!AocmpxiT_Zg5gesssvzAvBHdKUpDnw?e=wQBlcj](https://1drv.ms/u/s!AocmpxiT_Zg5gesssvzAvBHdKUpDnw?e=wQBlcj)
Thank you again!